With the JR Pass, you can freely board almost any Japan Railways Group (JR Group) train throughout the country. There are two type of Japan Rail Pass: Green (for first-class Green cars), and Ordinary. Each of these type is available as a 7-day, 14-day or 21-day Pass.
Who is eligible for Japan Rail Pass? ジャパンレールパスのご利用資格
The Japan Rail Pass is a special ticket that is available only to travelers visiting Japan from foreign countries for sightseeing. To be eligible to purchase a Japan Rail Pass, you must meet one of the following two conditions:
1. You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor."
2. You are a Japanese national living in a foreigh country: who is qualified to live permanently in that country, or who is married to a non-Japanese residing in a country other than Japan.
If you have both a Japanese and USA passport (dual Citizenship) please use your USA passport when entering Japan.
For Japanese nationals living outside of Japan日本国外在住の方
As of June 1st 2017, Japanese nationals who have lived outside of Japan for 10 years or more can qualify for the Japan Rail Pass as long as the following conditions are met:
You will need to provide one of following documents that proves foreign residence outside of Japan for at least 10 years at the time of purchase. This must be:
(1) Copy of your Overseas Residential Registration (在留届の写し) issued by the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where you live.
(2) Certificate of Overseas Residence (在留証明書) issued by the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where you live.
[USA, Brazil and Canada only]
(3) Permanent Resident Card (永住カード) issued by your country of residence. This is only a special case and limited to the USA, Brazil, and Canada. The date of recorded residence on the card should be at least 10 years.
For Japanese children below the age of 12.
Japanese children under 12 years old can only use the Japan Rail Pass if they are accompanied with an adult Japanese Japan Rail Pass holder. They must conform to the following rules: 1. The Overseas Residential Registration verifies that he/she lives with the child applicant and whose stay in the country is *10 consecutive years or more. 2. The child must also use the JAPAN RAIL PASS with the adult applicant.
How to obtain a Japan Rail Pass ジャパンレールパスの購入方法
You must purchase an Exchange Order from an authorized sales office or agent before you come to Japan. After you arrive in Japan, you turn in the Exchange Order to receive your JAPAN RAIL PASS at an applicable JR station that has a JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange office.
JR PASS cannot be purchased inside Japan. ジャパンレールパスは日本国内では購入できません。
JAPAN Rail Pass types and prices ジャパンレールパス種別と価格
There are two types of JAPAN RAIL PASS; Green (for first class Green cars), and ordinary. Each of these types is available as a 7-day, 14-day or 21-day Pass.
Child 子供 (6-11)
Child 子供 (6-11)
The above are prices for a JAPAN RAIL PASS Exchange Order; the actual cost in local currency is calculated based on the Banker's Selling Rate (BSR), etc. at the time the Exchange Order is issued. Note that the purchase exchange rate may differ from the exchange rate in effect when you actually visit Japan.
*Prices are subject to change.
現地通貨における実勢価格は、引換証発行時のBankers Selling Rate等により換算されます。訪日した際に、購入時の為替レートが訪日時の実勢引き換えレートと異なる場合があることをご了承ください。価格は変更となる場合がございます。
(Bankers Selling RateとはIATAの公示レートとして用いられるレートのことで毎週水曜日に更新されます）